- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland›
- Gate of Saint John, Basel: Overall view ›
Gate of Saint John, Basel: Overall view
The top spire is now gone, replaced 1983-1985.
The St. Johanns-Tor (and Thomas Tower) was built after 1356 and is a former city gate and defense tower in the ancient city walls of Basel. It is one of the three remaining gateways and a heritage site. It was formerly a part of the third mediaeval ring of fortifications that was constructed round the whole city (and incorporated new areas including the St. Johanns-Vorstadt) shortly after the great earthquake of 1356. In 1888, the Thomas Tower, which in 1806 had been reduced to half its original height, was fitted with new merlons. When the gate was restored again in 1983-1985, the steeply pitched roof that had been added in the nineteenth century was replaced by a squat, pyramidal structure thought to be more in keeping with the original design.