Gwalior Fort complex: Man Singh Palace: Palace walls and the Hathi Pol, view from inside the gate looking out towards towers
The fortress sits on a rocky plateau above the town. In the late 14th century the Tomara Rajputs, keen patrons of music, painting and architecture, were able to assert their independence. The most splendid reminder of Tomara rule is the palace of Raja Man Singh (reigned 1486-1516), known as the Man Mandir. The palace is a multi-storey structure dramatically situated at the edge of the Fort (plateau) overlooking the city. The Hathi Por (Hindi: "elephant gate") is richly carved and flanked by semicircular towers rising the full height of the building. Much of the exterior is covered with ceramic tiles, giving the palace the appearance of an enamelled jewel-box.