- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia›
- Storozhevsky Monastery of Saint Savva, Rozhdestvensky... ›
Storozhevsky Monastery of Saint Savva, Rozhdestvensky Cathedral: Interior, view of the iconostasis
In 1404 Prince Yury (died 1434) founded the Storozhevsky Monastery of St Savva, which now houses the Zvenigorod Museum of History and Ethnography. The church of the Virgin's Nativity (Rozhdestvensky Cathedral), its main church, which was built in 1405 stands on a hill (Storozhi Holm) at the centre. Its dome is slightly displaced to the east, while the roof originally consisted of superimposed kokoshniki arches. St. Savva (Sabbas) of Storozhi was interred in the church in 1407 (canonized 1547). The frescoes in the altar date back to the 1420s, but the rest of interior was painted in 1656. A magnificent iconostasis in five tiers with holy doors in the Stroganov-school style were installed in 1652.