- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- Collegiate Church of Saint Waudru ›
Collegiate Church of Saint Waudru: Overall exterior view, apse end with radiating chapels
Work stopped in 1621, without the church ever being completed. At the keystone, it reaches 24.5 meters in height. The choir is surrounded by an ambulatory and 15 chapels. The construction of a tower 190 meters high was originally intended; it was begun in 1548, but the work ceased in 1691 at roof height. The church is known for is 16th century stained glass and interior sculpture by Jacques Du Broeucq. It also houses a Gothic Revival (1887) reliquary of St. Waudru, and a Louis XVI style processional carriage (1779-1782), used to carry the reliquary in an annual procession.