- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Saint Theobald's Collegiate Church ›
Saint Theobald's Collegiate Church: Raking view of the smaller, north portal
Pilgrimage and parish church in Alsace. It contains an important assemblage of late medieval art. It is one of the most ornate Gothic churches in the whole Upper Rhenish region (Alsace, Baden, North-Western Switzerland, Palatinate). With the encouragement of the Habsburgs and a rise in pilgrimage in the 14th and 15th centuries, a large church was begun ca. 1330, becoming collegiate in 1442. The church shows the influence of the Parler workshop: it has no transept. The building was finished after 1490 by Remigius Faesch, who completed the façade and added the main vault body and, in 1516, the openwork spire. In 1629-1631 the Gothic-style chapel of the Virgin was added on the south side.