- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Les Halles Centrales, Paris ›
Les Halles Centrales, Paris: Raking view of the the cast iron and glass market halls and entrance
It was the large central wholesale marketplace, which was demolished in 1971, to be replaced with an underground modern shopping precinct, the present Forum des Halles. Les Halles was the traditional central market of Paris. In 1183, King Philippe II Auguste enlarged the marketplace in Paris and built a shelter for the merchants, who came from all over to sell their wares. In the 1850s (second design, 1853), the massive glass and iron buildings Les Halles became known for were constructed. Ten pavilions were erected by 1866; two more were added in 1936. Baltard's innovation was to divide the pavilions according to the commodities handled there, connecting them by covered ways. When Les Halles was dismantled the wholesale market was relocated to the suburb of Rungis.