Padua Cathedral: General view of facade with the Battistero to the right
It is the third edifice built in the same site. The first one was erected after the Edict of Milan in 313 and destroyed by an earthquake on January 3, 1117. Rebuilt in Romanesque style, this was remodeled during the Renaissance beginning in 1551, until 1754; the façade remained unfinished. The appearance of the medieval church can be seen in the frescoes (1375-1380) by Giusto de' Menabuoi in the annexed Baptistry.