- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Siena Cathedral: Pulpit: Interior ›
Siena Cathedral: Pulpit: Interior
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The pulpit of the Siena Cathedral was sculpted between the end of 1265 and November 1268 by Nicola Pisano with the extensive participation of his son Giovanni Pisano and his assistants Arnolfo di Cambio and Lapo di Ricevuto. The pulpit was altered between 1329 and 1542, when the shaped pedestal was added; the compositional and visual sequence of the reliefs was also altered by the repositioning of the pulpit after the Council of Trent. The staircase dates from 1543 and was built by Bartolomeo Neroni. At the same time, the pulpit was moved from the choir to its present location. The whole message of the pulpit is concerned with the doctrine of Salvation and the Last Judgment. In the top level seven scenes narrate the Life of Christ.