Maximilianeum: Overall view of facade at the end of Maximilian Bridge, showing tram tracks
Maximilian II (reigned 1848-1864), began to expand the areas to the east and south of Munich. Between 1852 and 1875 the neo-Gothic Maximilianstrasse was developed as a third axis by Friedrich Bürklein, who had also designed the Hauptbahnhof (1847-1849; destroyed 1945); the street ended at the Maximilianeum (1856-1874). With a façade by Gottfried Semper, this building stands high above the banks of the Isar. It was built as the home of a gifted students' (and royal pages) foundation and it has also housed the Bavarian Landtag (state parliament) since 1949. Started by Bürklein in a Gothic Revival style, the facade was finished by Semper in a Renaissance Revival or Eclectic style.