Paris Mint: Raking view, river facade
Date
Circa 1910
Creator
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
It is an administration of the French government charged with issuing coins as well as producing medals and other similar items, originally created in 864. The Hôtel des Monnaies has housed the mint ever since its construction. Antoine's scheme placed the administration block along the river front and removed the high-security foundry and workshops to interior courtyards fitted within the irregular site of the old Hôtel de Conti. The low side elevation along the Rue Guénégard to the east has robust rustication and a defensive character associated with coinage at least since Jacopo Sansovino's Venetian mint 200 years earlier; the palatial elevation facing across the Seine to the Louvre was meant to convey the idea of national prosperity.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Abbey Church of Saint Austremonius, Issoire: Overall view of the apsidal end

Abbey Church of the Trinity, Fecamp: Overall view

Abbey Church, Saint-Leu-d'Esserent: Overall view, apsidal end with high chapel on top of five radiating chapels

Abbey of Our Lady of the Assumption, Saint-Brice: Overall view of the intact facade with blind arcades

Abbey of Saint Jean des Vignes, Soissons: Overall view, west facade still standing independently

Aix Cathedral: Detail, main Gothic portal
