- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Royal Chancery of Granada ›
Royal Chancery of Granada: Raking view of the facade, showing added balustrade and clock
The prestige of the Tribunal de la Justicia (Royal Chancery), which was instituted in 1505, was emphasized in 1587 by its new building (now Audiencia), with its magnificent façade designed by Francisco del Castillo. As a manifestation of royal power it made a great impression on contemporaries and became a much imitated model. The oldest parts of the present building were built around 1531. Diego de Siloé provided plans for the courtyard of the Chancillería (1546). In 1762 a stone balustrade was added to the cornice, with carved pyramids and a 16th century clock in the center. In 1834, the status of the Chancery was reduced to that of an Audiencia, with jurisdiction over the provinces of Granada, Almería, Jaén and Málaga.