- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Church of Saint Anne: Overall view, seen from Plaza Nueva ›
Church of Saint Anne: Overall view, seen from Plaza Nueva
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
A 16th century church constructed in Renaissance style with Mudejar elements: a single nave with a timber-roofed chancel. The facade has Plateresque detail; inside the church there are five chapels on each side and a coffered Mudejar ceiling. It was begun in 1501 to replace the mosque of Almanzra which had been on the site. (In 1501 the city was divided by Cardinal Pedro González de Mendoza into 23 parishes, and most were allocated smaller mosques to be consecrated for Christian use.) Originally dedicated only to Santa Ana, St. Gill was added when a church dedicated to him was destroyed in the enlargement of the Plaza Nueva.