Brussels Town Hall: Overall view of the facade from Grand-Place
In the 15th century civic buildings, such as the Hôtel de Ville (completed 1455) in the Grand-Place, the main market-place, began to compete with the religious buildings in their number and artistic quality. It is one of the most important secular Gothic buildings in Brabant. It consists of two wings divided by a tall, central bell-tower and was built in at least three campaigns under different architects including Jacob van Thienen (fl 1377-1406) and Herman de Voghele. The last phase, which included work on the richly Flamboyant superstructure of the tower, was finished in 1455 by Jan van Ruysbroeck. It was thoroughly restored during the 19th century under the supervision of Tieleman Franciscus Suys and Victor Jamaer.