- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Palais de la Légion d'Honneur, Paris ›
Palais de la Légion d'Honneur, Paris: Raking view of the facade and side from the street intersection next to the Musee d'Orsay
The Hôtel de Salm was constructed by the architect Pierre Rousseau for the German Prince Frederick III, Fürst of Salm-Kyrburg. The revolutionary government nationalized the building, and from 13 May 1804 it was renamed the Palais de la Légion d'Honneur, and became the seat of the newly created Légion d'honneur. The palace was destroyed by fire in 1871, under the Paris Commune. A replica was rebuilt soon afterwards under Anastase Mortier, with painters Jean-Paul Laurens and Théodore Maillot providing interior decoration. An additional building was added from 1922-1925 on Rue de Bellechasse in order to house a museum of the Legion of Honour.