- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of Saint Peter, Dreux ›
Church of Saint Peter, Dreux: Detail of west facade with unfinished south tower
The construction of the church of Saint-Pierre runs from the thirteenth to the seventeenth century. Most of what is still visible today dates from the fifteenth century, rebuilt after the Hundred Years War. In the sixteenth century, the church was enlarged with the construction of the last two bays and west towers. The west facade dates from 1524; it has two towers, the south (right) tower (called "St. Anne") was never completed, the north (left) tower ("St. Vincent") was completed 1576. The church has a double ambulatory with seven radiating chapels with stained glass (the earliest glass is ca. 1498). The north portal is the oldest, ca. 13th century.