- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Musée Calvet: Display of Gothic sculpture in the museum ›
Musée Calvet: Display of Gothic sculpture in the museum
A Virgin and Child is at center; a tomb effigy is visible behind.
Several aristocratic residences dating from the Baroque era have survived and have been turned into public institutions: the Musée Calvet and the Médiathèque Ceccano (municipal library) were once palatial homes. The original owner, Joseph-Ignace de Villeneuve-Martignan, a member of the city council and first consul of Avignon, enlarged the house starting in 1734. The architects were Thomas Lainée and later Jean-Baptiste Franque and his son François. The garden was praised by Stendhal when he visited in 1837. Nineteenth century restoration was by Renal and d' Eyssautier beginning when the estate was purchased for the museum in 1833.