- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Basilica of Saint-Martin d'Ainay ›
Basilica of Saint-Martin d'Ainay: Overall view of the apse end of the church and remnants of abbey
A Benedictine priory was founded on the Lyon peninsula in 859. When later it was raised to the rank of an abbey, major building works began: the abbey church was built at the end of the 11th century under Abbot Gaucerand, consecrated on 29 January 1107 and dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours by Pope Pascal II. This church is today one of the rare Romanesque churches still extant in Lyons. By the end of the 17th century the monastic community had ceased to exist. The church and remaining buildings were handed over to a secular chapter in 1685. The church became a parish church, and on 27 January 1780, ceased to have the title of abbey. It was classed as a monument historique in 1844, and during the course of the 19th century was restored in a Romanesque Revival style by the architects Pollet and Benoôt in a "pure Romanesque" spirit, destroying the last remains of the cloister and enlarging it by the addition of side chapels. The church was raised to the rank of basilica by Pope Saint Pius X on 13 June 1905.