- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- Palace of Charles of Lorraine, Brussels ›
Palace of Charles of Lorraine, Brussels: Detail, north facade of the royal chapel
The Palace of Charles of Lorraine was the residence of Charles Alexander of Lorraine in Brussels. Charles was governor-general of the Austrian Netherlands from 1744 to 1780. The palace is located at the Museum square in the upper city, near the Place Royale. The construction was started in 1757 on the place where the Palace of Nassau (Hof van Nassau) had stood. It is now part of the Royal Library and houses a museum of the 18th century. This museum is the result of collaboration between the Royal Museums of Art and History, the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium and the Royal Library, and charts 18th century intellectual life. The Palace comprises five salons, each presenting a particular aspect: the life of Charles of Lorraine, scientific instruments, cartography, music, and the art of table-setting.