Josselin Castle: Distant view, across the River Oust
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
Medieval castle first built in the 11th century and rebuilt at various times since. It has been designated as a monument historique since 1928. Guéthénoc, Vicomte of Porhoët, Rohan and Guéméné, began to build the first castle on the site around the year 1008, choosing a rocky promontory overlooking the valley of the Oust river. Henry II of England and his son destroyed this castle in 1168 and 1175. It was rebuilt and later enlarged in 1370 by Olivier de Clisson; this fortress had 8 towers and a keep 100 yds in diameter. Circa 1490 it was rebuilt; the facade is an early example of Renaissance style. Partially destroyed again by Cardinal Richelieu in 1629, it was restored in 1822. The Castle is still a residence of Josselin de Rohan, fourteenth Duke of Rohan.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Church of Saints Gervais and Protais: Overall view, side elevation behind houses fronting the Seine

Theatre de la Renaissance: Overall context view of facade and right side

Bordeaux Cathedral: Raking view of south side, base of the separate Tour Pey-Berland

Topographic views of Nice: Aerial view

Chapel of the Jesuit College, Eu: Overall view, Louis XIII style facade

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Paris: Overall view
