- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Monastery of San Michele in Bosco ›
Monastery of San Michele in Bosco: View of church, loggia next to main facade, with campanile behind
Located on a hill not far from the city's historical center, the area housed monastic structures as early as the 4th century AD. In 1364 the Olivetans settled here by will of Pope Urban V. After the church was destroyed in 1430, they rebuilt it in a different style, mostly finishing it by 1523. The church has a Renaissance-style façade designed by Biagio Rossetti and his workshop, and a marble portal by Baldassarre Peruzzi. The interior has a nave with four side chapels, and a presbytery. The monastery was finished in the late 16th century. It has an octagonal cloister, with frescoes by the Carracci school. The monastery was acquired in 1955 by the municipality of Bologna, to house an orthopedic center.