- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany›
- Urban views of Rothenburg ober der Tauber ›
Urban views of Rothenburg ober der Tauber: Weisserturm and Judentanzhaus viewed from the west
On the Galgengasse (Gallows Lane), the Weisserturm dates from 1204. There once was a moat on this side of the tower, but it was filled when the town was extended. The timber framed building with oriel attached to it is the former Judentanzhaus (Jewish Dance House). This was destroyed in the bombing of 1945 but has been reconstructed.
German town in Middle Franconia, Bavaria, with a population of 12,500, lying on a plateau 100 m above the River Tauber on its right bank. It is remarkable for being preserved as a complete 16th-century town bearing little evidence of later centuries, and for its intact fortifications (12th-14th century). The town became an Imperial Free City in 1274. The town was bombed in March of 1945, destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet (610 m) of the wall. After the war, the residents of the city quickly repaired the bombing damage and tried to keep the historic character of the town, which is now popular with tourists.