- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of Saint Vincent de Paul, Clichy: Overall view ›
Church of Saint Vincent de Paul, Clichy: Overall view
Built when the saint was a village priest, 1612-1625. Vincent de Paul rebuilt the parish church with the money of parishioners and community leaders from 1622 to 1630. In 1617 he founded, with the wealthy ladies of the city, the Ladies of Charity to help the poor. In 1623, he founded the Society of the Daughters of Charity, which later took the name "Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul." Their numbers multiplied rapidly. The parent order was in Clichy until the 1970s. He left the parish in 1627. This church is now known as Saint-Medard; a newer 20th century church is now known as St. Vincent de Paul, adjoining the smaller church at the same address. The stained glass is modern; the old glass was destroyed in a storm in 1823.