- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Saint Trophîme Cathedral ›
Saint Trophîme Cathedral: Detail, left jamb figures of the west portal
Below the procession of the saved, separated by pilasters and columns of dark stone, are statues of saints connected with the history of Arles; from left, St. Bartholomew, St. James the Great, St. Trophimus, St. John the Evangelist, and St. Peter. The bases of the columns are decorated with statues of lions.
The outer walls of the present cathedral of St Trophîme are normally assigned to the Carolingian period. The church was reconstructed with a nave and aisles in the Romanesque style during the first quarter of the 12th century, and a new Gothic choir was built in the mid-15th. The Romanesque sculpture can be divided into four distinct groups: the nave capitals, the façade and the north and east cloister galleries. The nave capitals, which derive from late antique Corinthian forms, have been dated on stylistic grounds to ca. 1120.