- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of the Convent of the Cordeliers, Avignon ›
Church of the Convent of the Cordeliers, Avignon: View of the remains of the bell tower
This major convent was destroyed in 1806 and all that remains are a few vestiges of the church and the partial bell tower, which were incorporated into the structure of the Lycée Saint-Joseph built on the site in the middle of the nineteenth century. The church was originally constructed in the 14th century. This typical Avignonnais church consisted of a single nave with lateral chapels built under the buttresses. The bell tower, however, belongs to the same style as that of the Carmelites or of Notre-Dame-la-Principale. The lateral chapels housed the tombs of Avignon's most important families. The cloister was rebuilt in the seventeenth century and was visited by Louis XIV in 1660.