Lambeth Palace: Context view from the north bank of the Thames looking east showing boat dock
image is flipped
Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is located in Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames a short distance upstream of the Palace of Westminster on the opposite shore. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200. The oldest remaining part of the palace is the Early English chapel. The so-called Lollard's Tower dates from 1440. There is a fine Tudor brick gatehouse built by Cardinal John Morton in 1495. The Great Hall was rebuilt in 1663. New construction was added to the building in 1834 by Edward Blore. The palace is now also home to Lambeth Palace Library, the official library of the Archbishop of Canterbury and principal holder of records for the history of the Church of England.