- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Palazzo di Giustizia, Rome: Overall raking view ›
Palazzo di Giustizia, Rome: Overall raking view
The building was opened in 1910, lacking the bronze quadriga by Ettore Ximenes, which was finally completed in 1917.
n 1882 Calderini began his lengthy association with the Palazzo di Giustizia, Rome, which started with a highly publicized, two-stage competition, continued with the complicated construction supervision (1888-1897), and concluded with the legal resolution of difficulties encountered with the still-incomplete building in 1908. The project was hampered from the beginning by an unstable building site and by rapidly rising construction costs. The building was opened in 1910, lacking the bronze quadriga by Ettore Ximenes, which was finally completed in 1917; it was evacuated in 1970 due to imminent collapse. Extensive reinforcement and renovation were completed in 1992. The conspicuous site and important function of the huge palazzo commanded attention as perhaps the most prominent architectural symbol of the 'third Rome' and new Italy.