- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Collegiate Church of Saint Peter, Avignon ›
Collegiate Church of Saint Peter, Avignon: Overall view, of facade and bell tower
According to tradition there has been a Saint-Pierre Church on this site since the seventh century, housing the tombs of the first bishops of Avignon (most notably Saint-Agricol, 600-700). Rebuilding was initiated in 1358 by Cardinal Pierre des Pres. The steeple was added in 1495, the facade dates from 1512-1525. The tall, solid walnut doors sculpted by Antoine Volard in 1551 are striking for the richness of their typical late Renaissance decoration: baskets, putti bearing cornucopias, sheathed caryatids, fruit and mascarons. Four human figures are represented against the blackground of this mannerist decorative universe: Saints Jerome and Michael on the left, the Virgin and the Angel of the Annunciation on the right.