Brou, Priory Church: Detail, figure on the Tomb of Margaret of Austria
Former Benedictine priory church, dedicated to St Nicholas of Tolentino, near Bourg-en-Bresse, Burgundy, France. Situated on an important road linking the northern provinces with Italy, the church was built by Margaret of Austria, who secured the services of artists from the south Netherlands, Burgundy, Italy and France. It is notable for its surviving rood screen and richly carved choir-stalls (1530-1532), executed by Pierre Berchod (called Terrasson). Margaret, her third husband Philibert II, Duke of Savoy, and his mother, Margaret of Bourbon, are all buried in tombs (sculpted by Conrat Meit) within the church.