- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Basilica di San Marco, Rome: Overall view ›
Basilica di San Marco, Rome: Overall view
The facade has been restored so that the upper level arches are again an open loggia.
A basilica in Rome located in the small Piazza di San Marco adjoining Piazza (and Palazzo) Venezia. It was built in 336 by Pope Mark and rebuilt in 833 by Pope Gregory IV. Besides the addition of a Romanesque belltower in 1154, the major change was ordered by Pope Paul II in 1465-1470, when the inside and the outside of the church was restyled according to the Renaissance taste. The façade (1466) was built with marbles taken from the Colosseum and the Theatre of Marcellus, and is attributed to Leon Battista Alberti. The last major reworking of the basilica was started in 1654-1657 and completed by Cardinal Angelo Maria Quirini in 1735-1750, when the church received its Baroque interior decoration.