- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Château d'Anet North Wing Frontispiece ›
Château d'Anet North Wing Frontispiece [relocated]: Overall view of frontispiece of the north wing
Remnant of the château moved to the Ecole after 1811.
French 16th-century château approximately 75 km west of Paris, in the département of Eure-et-Loire. In 1546 Diane de Poitiers began to build a modest house in the village of Anet; it underwent considerable and magnificent enlargement (after 1547, until 1553) when her lover Henry II became King of France and placed Philibert de L'Orme and virtually unlimited resources at her disposal. The château was built on a moated site around three courtyards with gardens to the north. Largely demolished (1798-1811) after the French Revolution, all that remains of this complex are the entrance gate and screen wall, a section of the west wing, the frontispiece of the north wing (now Paris, École des Beaux-Arts) and parts of the cryptoporticus, the chapel in the east wing and the Basse Cour gateway.