- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Roman Aqueduct at Ars-sur-Moselle ›
Roman Aqueduct at Ars-sur-Moselle: Overall view of the remaining arches
Ars-sur-Moselle used to be a part of Germany from 1871 to 1918 and was called Ars-an-der-Mosel. In Ars-sur-Moselle a huge aqueduct bridge crosses the Moselle river. In Ars the conduit was split in a castellum so that the crossing was made with two separate channels to the second castellum in Jouy-aux-Arches on the west side of the river, where both channels were united and the water was conveyed in the direction of Metz. The Ars castellum (east of the Moselle) also acted as a cleaning basin. Local water sources added their water in, near the castella on both sides of the Moselle river.