- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Loggia dei Militi: Overall view ›
Loggia dei Militi: Overall view
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
An inscription on its façade states it was built in 1292. The Loggia was the seat of assemblies for the local "Società dei Militi" (captains of the local citizens' militia). It consists of two rectangular rooms above a portico of two large ogival arches. Under the portico is the coat of arms of Cremona, moved here from the Margherita Gate when the latter was demolished in 1910. At some point the lower arches were enclosed, as reported by George Edmund Street in 1855, but they have been restored and reopened making the building a true loggia again. The top is crowned with crenellated battlements that evoke its military association.