- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Brou, Priory Church: Interior, Tomb of Philibert the Fair ›
Brou, Priory Church: Interior, Tomb of Philibert the Fair
The tomb of Philibert the Fair is in the centre of the choir. On the upper part, Philibert's effigy is dressed in clothes of state, a lion (symbol of power) at his feet, while below lies a representation of his naked corpse. Statuettes, of south Netherlandish workmanship, surround the tomb under carved canopies; St Mary Magdalen is outstanding in its grace and elegance.
Former Benedictine priory church, dedicated to St Nicholas of Tolentino, near Bourg-en-Bresse, Burgundy, France. Situated on an important road linking the northern provinces with Italy, the church was built by Margaret of Austria, who secured the services of artists from the south Netherlands, Burgundy, Italy and France. It is notable for its surviving rood screen and richly carved choir-stalls (1530-1532), executed by Pierre Berchod (called Terrasson). Margaret, her third husband Philibert II, Duke of Savoy, and his mother, Margaret of Bourbon, are all buried in tombs (sculpted by Conrat Meit) within the church.