- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Palazzo dei Conservatori: Exterior, overall view of facade ›
Palazzo dei Conservatori: Exterior, overall view of facade
The Palazzo dei Conservatori ("Palace of the Conservators"), originally called the Palazzo Caffarelli, was built in the Middle Ages for the local magistrate on top of a 6th century BCE temple dedicated to Jupiter "Maximus Capitolinus". It was the first use of a giant order that spanned two storeys, here with a range of Corinthian pilasters and subsidiary Ionic columns flanking the ground-floor loggia openings and the second-floor windows. The year before Michelangelo's death, the façade of the Palazzo dei Conservatori was started according to a new set of drawings produced under his supervision, and the building was completed (1568-1584) by Giacomo della Porta. It is now part of the Capitoline Museums.