- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Chapel of Saint John of Jerusalem, Mulhouse ›
Chapel of Saint John of Jerusalem, Mulhouse: Interior, as a museum
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem, also known as the Knights of Malta, settled in Mulhouse in the early 13th century and was the wealthiest and most influential order in the town. The chapel, built in the 13th century, was renovated and refurbished in the 14th and 15th centuries and is surrounded by a cemetery and commander´s residence. After the Reformation, the Knights left Mulhouse and the chapel was sold as communal property in 1798. It was converted into a brewery, then a smithy and a warehouse. In 1893 it became a Listed Historic Monument and was restored, and housed "many lapidary fragments" (opened 1898).