Palace of the Popes, Orvieto: View of facade, with enclosed loggia
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The facade has now been restored to the original plan, and the loggia re-opened at the bottom. Stairs on left side lead to the piano nobile. The Palazzo Papale (now Palazzo Soliano) attached to the right of the cathedral was originally begun in the mid-13th century when the popes moved to Orvieto to escape conflict in Rome. Pope Urban IV and Pope Martin IV both lived in the town and probably oversaw construction of the initial stages of this building. Pope Boniface VIII extended the building (1297), but it was left unfinished following the papal move to Avignon in 1309. It remained a papal residence until 1550, when it was passed to the ownership of the cathedral, who after using it as a residence for sometime redesigned it in 1896 as a museum. The Museo Opera del Duomo is now located in the grandiose Gothic hall on the piano nobile.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Palazzo Farnese: Overall view, main facade

Episcopal Palace, Verona: Raking view of facade facing the Piazza Vescovado

Gate of Saint Nicholas, Florence: Overall view

San Clemente: Overall view of exterior facade behind the peristyle cloister courtyard

Church of Saint Anastasia, Verona: Overall view of unfinished brick facade

Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute: Overall exterior view, viewed from the Grand Canal
