- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assisi, Palermo ›
Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assisi, Palermo: View of main portal and rose window
Erected in what was once the market district of the city. It was built between 1255 and 1277 and was largely renovated in the 15th, 16th, 18th and 19th centuries, the latter after an earthquake. After the 1943 bombings, the church was restored to its Medieval appearance, which now includes part of the original building such as the right side, the apses and the Gothic portal in the façade. The interior has a typical Gothic flavor, with a nave and two aisles separated by two rows of cylindrical pilasters. Some of the chapels are in Renaissance style, as well as the late 16th century side portals.