- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Palazzo Comunale, Orvieto ›
Palazzo Comunale, Orvieto: Raking view of facade showing later additions
The tower to the left actually belongs to the church of Sant'Andrea that stands further to the left. The top of the tower has now been removed and restored to an earlier crenelated form.
The Palazzo Comunale, begun in 1216 and rebuilt in 1276, lost much of its original Late Romanesque character during the extensive restorations carried out between 1573 and 1581 by the architect and sculptor Ippolito Scalza (ca. 1532-1617).