Broletto, Como: Detail, lower part of clock tower and arches of loggia
Broletto is an ancient Italian word, and one meaning refers to a "place where justice is administered", and is a term used in Northern Italy for early town halls. Sited next to the cathedral to signify the strong bond between the civil power of the City and of the Church. The expansion of the cathedral required the cutting of two arches towards the south (1477) and the closure of a porch on the same side (1514). This meant the separation of the town hall into two separate units, commonly referred to as "Broletto" (the west) and "Praetorian" (the east).