- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral ›
St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral: Overall view, exterior of the west facade
The west façade, probably by Gilles van den Bossche (died 1460).
This former collegiate church, dedicated to SS Michael and Gudule, became a parish church at the Revolution of 1830 and a cathedral in 1962. The present building was begun ca. 1226, but it was finished only towards the end of the 15th century and has been much altered; it is nevertheless a fine example of Gothic architecture in Brabant. The central vessel of the nave built by, among others, Jacob van Tienen, is fully characteristic of Brabantine Gothic, with huge columnar piers 1.47 m in diameter supporting, by contrast, the two fine and delicate upper stages, probably built ca. 1475.