- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Palazzo della Loggia, Brescia ›
Palazzo della Loggia, Brescia: View of the Loggia with the roof by Vanvitelli
The original ceiling, (a small lead dome and a wooden ceiling), which contained three paintings by Titian was lost in a fire in 1575. The ceiling was replaced in in 1769 by Luigi Vanvitelli. In 1914 this was replaced in favor of a simpler hull-shaped lead dome.
The architectural influences that followed the annexation by the Venetian Republic drastically altered Brescia's appearance. A new nucleus began to grow around the Loggia (1492-1575), a city palace constructed with the assistance of Jacopo Sansovino, Galeazzo Alessi and Andrea Palladio. The building was completed under Beretta in accordance with the original 15th-century project but with a lavish crowning entablature designed by Jacopo Sansovino in 1554 and large rectangular upper windows designed by Palladio and Giovanni Antonio Rusconi in 1562.