Franciscan Friary: Cloister courtyard, detail looking down into garden
Cloister dates from 1317-1348 by Miho Brajkov of Bar.
Construction began in 1317 and was completed in the 1400s. It was badly damaged in the 1667 earthquake and almost entirely rebuilt, but the cloister and other elements still survive from the original building. The Franciscan friary is accessed via a narrow passage from St. Savior's Church. The friary also includes the single-nave St. Francis Church, a 15th-century marble pulpit, and a bell tower. The fine cloister (1317-1348) entirely escaped the earthquake. The cloister is late Romanesque with some Gothic elements, and features double columns topped with human, animal, and plant carvings and a tranquil open garden with a 15th-century fountain in the center. The upper level of the cloisters was built after the 1667 earthquake and is open only to Franciscans. The monastery is also noted for its library.