Basel Cathedral: Exterior view of church showing cloister attaching to the church
Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of 1185 and it was completed shortly after 1200. The towers, main vault and the upper storeys of the choir, which collapsed in the earthquake of 1356, were mainly rebuilt by Johann von Gmünd. The two-tower façade was altered during the 15th century: the northern Georgsturm was extended (1421-1428) to the designs of Ulrich von Ensingen and the southern Martinsturm was extended between 1488 and 1500. Erasmus and Bernoulli are buried in the church.