- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Milan Cathedral: Overall view of facade ›
Milan Cathedral: Overall view of facade
The first electric tram line in Italy was opened in Milan in 1893; this photograph must date after that. Milan still has operating tramways.
The Gothic cathedral took five centuries to complete and is the fourth-largest church in the world. In 1386, Archbishop Antonio da Saluzzo began construction in a rayonnant Late Gothic style more typically French than Italian. There is a long list of master builders who served as head of the Fabbrica del Duomo (created 1387), beginning with Simone da Orsenigo. The Fabbrica employed foreign architects as well, French and German, including Nicolas de Bonaventure (designer of the apse windows) and Heinrich von Gmünd (of the Parler family). July 1391 the Italian architect and painter Giovannino de Grassi was appointed engineer of the Fabbrica and produced a wide range of works including the design of the pier capitals. On May 20, 1805, Napoleon Bonaparte, about to be crowned King of Italy, ordered the façade to be finished; finally within seven years, the facade was finished, following a 17th century Neo-Gothic plan by Carlo Buzzi.