- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Torre della Pallata, Brescia ›
Torre della Pallata, Brescia: Overall view, west side of the tower
The Torre della Pallata is the only one of a group of four towers built in the Middle Ages still extant. It is situated on the corner between Via Pace and Corso Mameli. It was built as part of the defense of the Porta di San Giovanni, and part of the city walls. Its name probably derives from a fence erected as a defense (a palisade). In the fifteenth century other decorative elements were added; the clock in 1461 and the top battlements (merlons) and brick turret, added between 1476 and 1481. There is a fountain (1597) on the western base of the square tower.