- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Saint Andrew's Church, Chapel of Saint Isidore ›
Saint Andrew's Church, Chapel of Saint Isidore: Detail, entrance portal to the Capilla de San Isidro
Iglesia de San Andrés is located in the central neighborhood of La Latina and is one of the oldest parishes in the city. The original church was patronized by San Isidro Labrador, patron saint of Madrid (ca. 1082-1172). After the canonization of San Isidro in 1622, the Capilla de San Isidro was built on the church to house his relics (later moved). Pedro de la Torre won the original competition in 1641. In 1657 the work was resumed, under the direction Juan de Villareal, a disciple of Gomez de Mora. It has been restored three times between 1942 and 1991.