Roman Theater, Verona: View looking up from floor of cavea at seating and loggia
The Roman theatre was built around the end of the 1st century BC (restored 1830-1914) on the left bank of the Adige River. The cavea was built into the slope of the hill, with, above, a series of terraces leading to a temple (destroyed) on the hilltop. Through the ages it had fallen in disuse and had been built upon to provide housing. In the 18th century Andrea Monga, a wealthy Veronese, bought all the houses that in time had been built over the theatre, demolished them, and saved the monument. Not far from it is the Ponte di Pietra ("Stone Wall Bridge"), another Roman landmark.