- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- Koninklijke Nederlandse Schouwburg Gent ›
Koninklijke Nederlandse Schouwburg Gent: Facade, viewed from St. Bavo's Square
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The square is now open, the statue has been removed.
Built at the end of the 19th century after a design by architect Edmond De Vigne. The large sgraffito-painted tympanum is an allegorical tableau depicting Apollo and the Muses by Constant Montald. The architectural style of the theatre's interior is neo-Renaissance and eclecticism. The theater company in Ghent was dissolved after WWII and not reestablished until 1965 with the founding of NTG (Nederlands Toneel Gent/ Dutch Theater Ghent). The former name (1871-1945) was Koninklijke Nederlandse Schouwburg Gent (the Dutch Royal Theater, Ghent).