- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany›
- Lübeck Cathedral: Distant view, along the river Trave ›
Lübeck Cathedral: Distant view, along the river Trave
In 1173 Henry the Lion founded the cathedral to serve the Diocese of Lübeck, after the transfer in 1160 of the bishop's seat from Oldenburg. (It is now a Lutheran church). The then Romanesque cathedral was completed around 1230, but between 1266 and 1335 it was converted into a Gothic-style building with side-aisles raised to the same height as the main aisle (ca. 20 m). It was damaged in a WWII bombing raid, and restoration was only completed in 1982. The 17 m Triumphkreuz (monumental crucifix) is the work of the Lübeck artist Bernt Notke. It was commissioned by the bishop of Lübeck, Albert II. Krummendiek, and erected in 1477. The carvings which decorate the rood screen are also by Notke.