- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet ›
Church of Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet: Interior, nave looking towards altar
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The church was first built in the 13th century and was reconstructed between 1656 and 1763. The bell tower was constructed in 1625. The architects include Michel Noblet and François Levé, working in the employ of Louis XIV. Charles Le Brun may have contributed designs. The apse was redesigned by Baltard in 1862 because of street construction under Haussmann. The façade on the rue Saint-Victor was finally built in 1934. In 1977 the church was occupied by traditionalist Society of St. Pius X and presently remains in the Society's possession.